Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reflections of the "Third World"

For the past year or so I've been following a page on Facebook called, Humans of New York. This page was created by Brandon Stanton, a photojournalist who shares the photographs and stories of the people of New York City. Brandon doesn't just go around photographing people in random scenarios, he also listens to their stories and shared them with the world. He dives deeper into the lives of everyone he meets and adds context to the photographs.

Recently Brandon has traveled to Iraq and Kenya, sharing the stories of those affected by ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) as well as the stories of the layperson in Kenya. I've spent time in both places and have been deeply touched by the stories Brandon has shared. It's because of Brandon that I am writing today.

I want to start a series of posts that will not only keep you interested, but also spread awareness and understanding of how twisted Western societies view of these places is. My posts are of my own experience as well as those I traveled with.

I want you all to see that the world is not comprised with only what you see on television or in the news. It's filled with living, breathing, thinking, emotional people. Humans, just like you and I, are what fill the world. Just as you and I react in a certain way for certain reasons, so does the rest of humanity. We may have been brought up under different roofs, but the reality is that we all share this world and need to understand each other if we as a race are to ever find harmony amongst one another.

I did not find myself in a position in Iraq in which I could write from the view of the people, but I do feel that my short time in Africa gave me a cultural view that is not shared in mass media. I would like to share that with you.

My next few posts will cover my time in Tanzania and Kenya, Africa, circa 2013.

-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment