Friday, July 10, 2009

Clipless Pedals

Despite everyone (I mean everyone) telling me to use the clipless pedals on the road before you use them on the trail, I decided to ride the Swope Trails (first ride on the new trails) with my new clipless pedals.

I mean, how bad could it be? Right? I'll practice clipping in and un-clipping in the parking lot before I hit the trails and it'll be all good!

So I put the cleats on my old 661 shoes, stripping two bolts in the process (apparently you cant Hercules them on there). Thought to myself, "Will this e a problem?" Nah! But I had better bring the wrench and flats in case I don't like the clipless.

Patrick pulls up as I am starting to get used to pedaling and not having the ability to simply pull my foot off the pedal and pretty much tells me that it is a bad idea to try them out on the trail first. Should I take the warning? Probably, but damn it they are on there and I am not taking them off!

We take off UP the trail and its fast and smooth! Perfect! Just like riding on the road. The first round of rocks come and go with ease and I am feeling confident about my abilities and my decision. "What's so hard about this?" I say as I am flying along, swerving in an out of the trees.

I see the upcoming semi-technical hill and pick up the pace to ensure that I make it over as it is quite steep. Going...going...going...crap... Split second decision! I violently throw my right ankle to the side releasing the cleat from the grip of death binding on the pedal, adjust myself to plant my right foot on the ground to stop the fall, and fall to the left side toward the cliff. I hit hard head first and I am now upside down sliding straight for the cliff, left foot still entangled in the pedal that has a relentless grip on my shoe with the handlebars underneath me. I stop, thank God, and try to reposition myself to un-clip from the pedal and after a couple minutes of wondering why the shoe is moving but the cleat is not releasing, my shoe finally breaks free without the once attached cleat.

Great! So much for my great idea. I collect my pride and hop back on the bike, right foot clipped in, left foot slipping off the pedal every other stroke. I finally catch up with McQ and decide that the best idea is to take the clipless pedal off and replace it with the flats that are in my bag. Both pedals? Nope, just one. I'll be good right? I only have to worry about one foot now. And I got that one out very well the last time.

We head out again and the trails are awesome! Fast flowy downhill sections swerving in and out of trees. We are leaned over so much we look like MotoGP racers rounding the corners. Oh, life is sweet! We hit a nice technical rock slab section and I charge it full speed. I am hopping up and over rocks and roots like a pro. I see the foot and a half tall rock slab in in front of me, track stand for a minute to negotiate the obstacle, find the best approach, pop the front wheel up there first, good. Now the rear, up, OH, ALMOST...ALMOST...crap! Normally I would kick my right foot forward to get that extra little umph to get me up and over the obstacle however, that didn't happen this time because for some reason my right foot wouldn't move. "What happened?", I wonder as I lay on my back with a very uncomfortable rock poking me in my right buttock. Ohhhh! That's right. I was still clipped in on that side because I though it was a good idea.

Once again I gather up my pride and hop back in the saddle (I am good at that part) and take off down the trail. Coming a little fast into the first turn reach to feather my rear brake and I'm not slowing down! I look down and notice that my brake lever broke off during my last rendezvous with the ground. It must have met the same rock that my left butt cheek did.

The rest of the ride went ok. I took it slow for the most part because I didn't want brake too hard with the front and end up with my face in the dirt or worse. Patrick tried a few different unconventional lines on the rock faces and we railed some more of the DH sections on the way down and out.

Overall the experience was great save for the two falls I had. The Swope Trails are my new favorite trails and are most likely the fastest flowing and fastest drying trails in KC. Great job and many thanks go out to the trail stewards and volunteers. Next time I'll try it without the clipless.

-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment