Monday, July 6, 2009

So I didn't ride but......

We went to Denver to visit Shahana's friends over the long weekend. I decided not to take the bike so she could spend as much time as possible with her friends and not taking me to ride. It was a last minute decision but the right one in the end.

On Friday we visited Boulder and the CU campus. The drive into the hills up Canyon Drive is amazing. There was rappelling, rock climbing, tubing, kayaking, cycling and mountain biking all within a stones throw of each other! Pearl St was cool and very much like The Promenade in Santa Monica, CA. In fact the entire atmosphere in Boulder was much like the coastal cities along SoCal. I loved the vibe and it took me back a bit. We had lunch on a rooftop deck with a view of the Iron Flats. I had the bbq sandwich with the "Kansas City style bbq sauce" just for a laugh. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately I was disappointed with the food but everything else made up for it! Why do flip flops cost $60 these days?

That night Shahana's friend Julie, who was so gracious to let us stay with her, had a few friends over to celebrate the 4th and we watched the Coors Field fireworks display after the Rockies game from her 4th floor deck less than 1/4 mile away from the stadium. The Rockies won and it was a decent display.

Saturday morning we headed for the mountains. Shahana knew of a hiking trail with a great view so we headed up to Mt. Evans (a 14er). On the drive up we all started feeling a bit woozy from the altitude change so we stopped along the way to stretch and regain our composure. In a few miles we met Echo Lake and the awesome view of Mt. Evans. The weather didn't seem to want to cooperate but with patches of sun here and there we were hoping for the best once we got to the top. We headed straight for the top (no time to really hike Mt. Evans but there was talk of returning to make the hike from Echo Lake in the near future) and bypassed Summit Lake and the hiking trail due to the weather. Everything seemed to clear up just as we arrived and we were pleasantly surprised with miles of blue skies and fluffy white cumulus clouds.

As we started the hike to the top from the parking lot, I got the great idea to bypass the switchback well beaten path and shimmy my way up the boulders, straight to the top. 5 minutes later, lungs and legs screaming for air, I reached the top of Mt. Evans only to have what little breath I had taken away. I could not believe how beautiful the view was. Oh the awesome power and view of God to create such a magnificent place! I could not get enough. With a little courage and a lot of huevos, I jumped and scaled my way up to the highest rocks to soak it all in.

After a few photo opportunities and one scare from my misplaced footing we made our way down to the car. While I was waiting for the ladies to come down the path (I am a mountain goat at heart apparently as I jumped down from boulder to boulder) I took the opportunity to take some pictures for a nice group of motorcyclists from Ontario, Canada. They had been on the road for quite a while and still had quite a trip ahead of them. Obviously proud of their cruisers and their country the took pictures of their bikes which were all sporting their Canadian flag.

On our way back down to Summit Lake the clouds rolled in (I should say fell right on top of us) and the view was ridiculously limited to about 15 feet in all directions (even over the cliff with no railing). Needless to say it was a long drive back down. At Summit Lake it started to drizzle and was a cool 38 degrees. The lake was still a bit frozen and there was snow packed in some areas still. They ladies were freezing since we were all in shorts and we were debating whether or not to hike the trail. Shahana made it seem like it was worth the time and the weather wasn't getting any better so I suggested a nice little trail run since we were all in our running shoes anyways. Like I said, I am apparently a mountain goat because I took off like a bat out of hell down the trail, up and over boulders along side, and through the snow.

I took some time to take in the view of the lake and looking up at Mt. Evans peak before the clouds overtook the mountain. Shahana shouted down from the ridge so I ran up there and once again my breath was taken away (not from the lack of O2). As I stood atop a boulder overlooking the valley below and the endless mtn range in front of me I truly felt that Rocky Mountain high. It was most likely a combination of the adrenaline from running, lack of oxygen, the freezing drizzle on my face and the amazing view of God's green earth that made me feel so alive that I could have died happy in that moment.

We watched the fireworks from the balcony again on the 4th and even though the Rockies lost, they still put on one heck of a great fireworks display. Much better than the display the night before. We slept and met with a childhood friend of Shahana's for lunch the next day.

As we headed back East toward KC, Shahana cried and I comforted her. She really misses Colorado, the vibe, and her friends. KC and Denver are worlds apart and I totally understand why she misses it so much. I was completely in my element while I was there and I now feel CO pulling at my heart to get me back. I can't explain the joy I felt just being surrounded by the outdoors and the positive attitude (mostly), seeing how happy Shahana is there, and being able have the time spent with God and her up on that mountain.

As I write this and look at my new screen saver of Mt. Evans overlooking Summit Lake, I feel like something in me is missing and all I can think of is getting back! I took several hundred photos. As soon as I get a chance to rummage through them I will post up a few.

I hope you all celebrated your independence fully! Remember: If you love your freedom, thank a Vet. God Bless

-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment